tues june 25 2013
* not everybody is equally prepared for college.
College Advice Thread from /adv summer 2012. I was hoping for more “don’t go to college” posts, but alot of the stuff they say is good. like make a lot of friends, network with a lot of people, MEET with a LOT of PROFESSORS regularly, meet with advisers and counselors regularly, do internships, stand out from the competition, dress nice, don’t be a freak weirdo creep spaghetti pockets neet dork autist, bang 10 prime of youth girls in one semester, you will never get over the regret of not being with Cute Young College girls because you will never get that chance again, etc, don’t do drugs, do internships, get into the highest prestige college you can, etc.
However this is a lot of pressure and stress and some students handle it better than others! If you’re not handling it very well, then go on Hiatus at the end of the semester and come back when you are well prepared. But if you’re Floundering in your Second Year…..uh then go on HIATUS after the First Semester of your Second Year and don’t come back till you’re ready. And that could take like 5 years! No Problem!
wed june 26 2013
* anger anger anger, hatred hatred hatred. hate skool, hate careers, can’t do anything productive on each cuz so much hate. much more productive to just sit there and watch arrested development. this is a 6000 dollar suit, COME ON!! Thought about the “CompSci” classes I took, and how I learned nothing useful. most useful thing was the Bare Bones Basics of C++, Hello World programs hahaha. No we went deeper than Hello World in C++ part 2. functions and stuff. See I forgot it all. Heh. no we did POINTERS and POLYMORPHISM and MULTIPLE INHERITANCE but I’ve FORGOTTEN all that in over a year. I just wish it had been taught better than here’s the homework now figure it out. Yeah Trial and Error is fine and dandy but I also like having a Problem Solving Approach. Algorithms and such. AAAANNNNNDDDD this is where you go to office hours with the instructor or talk to the instructor after class. I was always TERRIBLE at this.
* There was one example where I was NOT terrible at it. At first. My Final Year of College 1, I had come back after A Hiatus, bound and determined to right all my wrongs, to be a Good Student Now. Kinda like How I say on this Blog! And I kinda Did that! I actually did a Surprisingly good job with that, Networking with one professor hardcore, and making a Contact with the Grad Students of another professor. Got All A’s when before I would get C’s because all I did then was smoke w33d all day. So I quit smoking w33d and started drinking more, hahaha.
* but then after I graduated, instead of using these contacts to Catapult me to the Next Bigger Thing, I slacked off and Drank More! Got too involved with Young College Girl Drama, enraged and jealous, drinking and underperforming, and ultimately moved down instead of Up. All because of GIRLS, FEELS/ANGER, and DRINKING.
* But yeah I am still amazed that I performed as well as I did before I started slipping.
* Also I would say don’t be in a hurry to graduate. I think about, well, what if instead of applying for graduation, I took another year and did a Useful Minor like Math or Chemical Engineering or Computer Science or even just f00king Accounting or even Econ. Or switched my major entirely. (had a Useless Major.)
* but that’s just my story. Now I am very angrily “trying” to do a CompSci degree. but very slowly because I hate school and college and talking to professors and especially talking to counselors.
* maybe counselors ARE useless, maybe they’re not. I was ALWAYS afraid to talk to college counselors. STILL AM. And then my excuse is, they’re useless. or other people say they’re useless. Well, even if they ARE useless, you shouldn’t be AFRAID to talk to them, that was really the underlying problem for me. F00k they’re getting paid GREAT MONEY, it’s their JOB to talk to you. MAKE THEM DO THEIR F00KING JOB.
* the local u recommends you take 16 credits every term and then you can get a CompSci degree in 4 years. F00k that I say, take 8 credits a term and Graduate in 8 years. Take FOUR credits a term and graduate in SIXTEEN years. Better than having College Debt TWENTY years after you graduate!
THAT is how much I hate College. I would rather take SIXTEEN YEARS to graduate. Because even 8 credits of Hard Classes is too much for me.
* So your Fam is disappointed that you’re taking Sixteen Years to Graduate College. Ask them WHERE’S YOUR STEM DEGREE? WHAT DID YOU GET IN CALCULUS 3? OH WHATS THAT YOU DON’T HAVE A STEM DEGREE? THEN YOU DIDN’T DESERVE TO GET THIS FAR IN LIFE, TO HAVE A FAMILY!
* Ok anger. yuo shouldn’t say such disrespectful things to your family, however your family should know better about how to raise children in 2013 and not just say “GO TO COLLEGE HURRR DURRRR.”
* Am I encouraging HELICOPTER Parenting? Maybe. Not in the sense that you BAIL your children out of all their mistakes, but that you keep a sturdy WHIP HAND over them, and say, DO THIS or you won’t get money. Where’s your internships and research experience. Be the Fire Under Their Ass. Also, DON’T LET YOUR CHILDREN BECOME DEBT SLAVES like you have become! I’m not telling you to PAY for your Kidz College! I am telling you to use your Parental Authority to Keep Your Kids from taking out 100k in LOANS to do A Useless Degree and underperform at it! (one of my preferred terms is HIGH INVESTMENT PARENTING!)
* but “Kids” over 18 are no longer subject to parental authority right? technically right. But you should try to exercise it ANYWAY. IDEALLY College would start at age 14. just GET RID OF HIGH SCHOOL, if high school is so useless, then just get rid of high school and REPLACE IT WITH COLLEGE, which is marginally less useless.
Related articles. don’t like my hateful language, don’t accept the trackback, go back to your successful career, if you want to be a good person, hire a lazy neckbeard over some kid from MIT with tons of EXTRACURRICULARS. Remember when Extracurriculars were just for high school. Well now they’re the most important thing of college. Didn’t get that memo till too late. PAY TO WORK, PAY FOR COLLEGE. If Extracurriculars are the only thing about College that Really MATTERS, they should abolish College and then just have you pay for f00king Extracurriculars.
- Girls, beer and C++: How to choose the right Comp-Sci degree for you (go.theregister.com)
- The ABCs of College Grades (elizabethlieutenant.com)
- Helicopter Parents (makingcollegework.com)
- My Love/Hate relationship with College (goalfulchels.com)
- Weighing My Options (rg13e.wordpress.com)
- Last Semester at WVU (csnyde11.wordpress.com)
- The Need for Internship (bikorading.wordpress.com)
- Why unpaid internships mean inequality of opportunity (macleans.ca)
- My perspective about college (scarpenter21.wordpress.com)
- The semester is done…. What now? (theactivegamer.wordpress.com)